Thursday, March 18, 2010

Occupational therapy and sensory stuff

Aidan gets to see the occupational therapist once a month now. Kind of sucks since he was going to do 4 times a month, but since his issues aren't "severe" then it'll be ok.
He has been doing a bit better but is still not able to sit well without some form of support. When he sits in a chair he usually leans his back against it, when he sits in my lap-he uses me for support. When sitting on the floor he either "w" sits or uses hands for support. And so on. But he has learned 'criss cross applesauce' and 'big boy legs' and will immediately go to indian style sitting and does fairly well with that, although his knees are a tad high for extra support.

His occupational therapist gave us a "brush" to use on him for "brushing" to help with a few sensory issues--mainly the biting he is doing. This is used as a calming technique and I can do it with all 3 kids. And they all love it! Our oldest, Alex, does have a few very mild sensory issues, I have always known that, but it isn't something that really interferes with life so it's never been a big deal to us. She actually told me that she thinks I most likely have some as well--due to the fact that I do not like to eat many meats--like steak and chicken(and anything chewy). Who knows if she is on base or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. So we are trying that out and it is going fairly well.

No comments: